GEORGE TOWN: Islamic State militants were planning to attack “Saudi royalty” during a state visit to Malaysia recently, Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said.
He said police arrested seven suspects and foiled their attempt last week to “attack” an Arab delegation, which included King Salman Abdulaziz Al-Saud of Saudi Arabia.
King Salman’s entourage arrived in Malaysia on Feb 26 for a four-day visit.
“The suspects were involved in producing false travel documents and distributing drugs.
“They were planning to attack Arab royalties when they visited Kuala Lumpur.
“Thank God we got them in the nick of time,” Khalid told reporters on the sidelines of the two-day conference of the Far East Regional Working Group, during the 34th International Drug Enforcement Conference at the Equatorial Hotel here today.
Khalid said of the seven suspects, four were Yemenis, two Indonesians and one Malaysian.
It was earlier reported that the four Yemeni militants were detained in a counter-terrorism raid last week in Cyberjaya, Selangor.
One was a chef at a Yemeni eatery while a fellow countryman was a student at a private university. The other two Yemenis were unemployed.
News reports also claimed the Yemeni nationals had been in the country for five years and joined local universities while being IS members.