An exhibit titled Genocide in Srebrenica: Eleven Lessons for the Future has opened in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, after it was turned away from its original event location in Brussels by certain members of the European Parliament (EP) for displaying “too many skulls and bones”.
Exhibit organiser Hikmet Karcic, an author and genocide researcher from Sarajevo, told Al Jazeera that he had been in contact for a year with some members of the EP, who had agreed to host his exhibit in parliament on July 11, commemorating the 23rd anniversary of the Srebrenica genocide.
More than 8,000 Muslim men and boys were killed in the worst atrocity on European soil since World War II.
However, when the members realised that the exhibition focuses on the steps that lead to genocide instead of the genocide’s consequences and reconciliation they decided to cancel the event just a few days before it was supposed to start.
“They requested that we take out photos of [Serb war criminals] [Slobodan] Milosevic, [Radovan] Karadzic, [Ratko] Mladic and photos of mass graves,” Karcic said.
To continue reading please click here